June 2026

I can't believe I managed to knit two tops in one month! And I had so much fun! It was so much quicker than I expected. Of course, these have no sleeves, very little fabric on the chest and top of the back and are knitted in relatively large needles. So, I didn't have to knit that much.

These tops are not amazing, but they were an amazing knit. Why? Because I was incredibly lucky with the amount of yarn I had and, last but not the least, I had very minimal expectations about both projects which they very much managed to surpass. Let's make a list...

  • I had both yarns in my stash for many years and didn't expect to find a project for them after so long. The coloured yarns were left-overs from another project, the white yarn had always been too little to make a top. To be honest, both yarn amounts seemed too little, which is the reason I was ecstatic when I succeeded on knitting these projects. I did have to use needles one size larger than recommended and self-draft the patterns in order to use as little fabric as I was comfortable with. And I still can't believe I succeeded!!! I definitely was helped by the gods of knitting.
  • My past experience of knitting with similar yarn was that it results in a fabric that is too warm to wear in warm days, while in cool ones I'd rather wear wool. So, I was ecstatic when I was able to wear these tops as soon as I finished each one and all through the month of July (which was weirdly cool where I live this year).

To be honest, I still can't believe, that I finished the tops with only a few centimeters of each yarn left over, specially for the stripes. It was incredible (thus the above reference to the gods).

I also managed to finish my February project (a blanket), which was not started in February, but in 2024! That was a bit of a bummer to be honest, because I was not able to block such a large project properly and the combination of pattern, yarn and needles I used does require aggressive blocking. So, my blanket is looking awful, it really is, but it serves its purpose, so I'm not going to bother finding a way to block it properly.

Pattern data

White top
Pattern: self-drafted (both Susanne Müller and My Favourite Things have similar patterns).
Yarn: Drops Muskat (colour 8).
Needles: 4.5mm (US7).

Striped Top
Pattern: self-drafted (check the Grassland Tank for a similar pattern).
Yarn: Drops Bomull-Lin (colours: 3, 5, 15, 20 and 21).
Needles: 3.5mm (US4), 4mm (US6) and 5mm (US8).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Addi vs. Knit Pro: a review

WIP: Sofia's scarf

Converting patterns for Portuguese-style knitting: a tutorial, part 1